Our wisdom teeth are the last to develop. They are the third molars that appear at the back of our mouth. Our first set of teeth develop when we are about 1 year old. Our adult teeth come through by about the age of 12. But the wisdom teeth at the back of our mouth do not emerge until our very late teens or early twenties.
Wisdom teeth are notorious for causing problems. It is almost rare for all four wisdom teeth to emerge without some issues. Most individuals find that there is not enough room in their mouth for the wisdom teeth to emerge correctly; teeth either do not fully emerge or emerge to push other teeth out of alignment. This can lead to several problems.
Widespread problems with wisdom teeth include:
- Swelling in the jaw and lower face
- Red inflamed gum near the partially / full covered molar
- Gum and jaw pain
- Infections and pus from the gum
- Sore lymph glands beneath the jaw
- Difficulty swallowing or opening the mouth
- Hard Impaction – the wisdom tooth pushes other teeth out of alignment
- Soft impaction – the wisdom tooth causes the gum to be misshapen
- The wisdom tooth emerges at an odd angle, no good for chewing
- The patient finds it hard not to continually bite their jaw.
These problems will stay or reoccur unless the wisdom tooth is removed or otherwise treated. Infection will reoccur if the wisdom tooth is not removed, and individuals with pre-existing health problems or otherwise compromised immune function will find that dental infections can cause severe complications.
Wisdom tooth extraction
Many individuals find they need at least some of their wisdom teeth extracted. An earlier extraction is almost always better than a latter one.
A general dental examination, and possibly an X-ray, will show if an extraction is required.
Sometimes several wisdom teeth are removed in one session.
After a Wisdom tooth extraction
You gum and jaw will be sore and swollen after the wisdom teeth are removed. This will continue for several days. Painkillers will help with the discomfort. Gargling salty water (wait 24 hours) will also help healthy healing of the wound.
Please talk to Dentist on Victoria for:
- wisdom teeth Denistone
- wisdom teeth Dundas
- wisdom teeth Ermington
- wisdom teeth Oatlands
- wisdom teeth Rydalmere
- wisdom teeth Telopea